5 Tips Every Healthy Dog Owner Should Know
1. Better dog food! Grain-free is best, capsule and the first four ingredients listed should include good quality protein sources like turkey, beef, chicken, or lamb and vegetables or fruits, as they contain healthy nutrients and provide vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Beware of by-products, sweeteners, artificial preservatives and colors, and corn and soy ingredients. These foods cost more, but isn’t your dog worth it?
2. Go for a walk! Dogs—especially older dogs—need exercise to stay active, maintain a healthy weight and provide mental stimulation. Walk your furry friend for 30 minutes per day, at least three days per week. Exercise might even help them to think better! It may help to avoid Cognitive Dysfunction, the canine equivalent of Alzheimer’s disease in humans.
3. Play and interact! Dogs are highly social creatures and need love, daily interaction and attention to help them maintain good mental health. A few minutes of together time and active play every day will strengthen the bond between you and your best friend, and help keep them—and you—healthier and happier.
4. Plenty of water! Water is essential to your dog’s health, and dehydration makes their bodies more susceptible to allergies and infections. Be sure that they drink between one half to one ounce of water for every pound of their body weight every day. Of course, their water supply should be kept fresh and changed daily.
5. Visit your vet! Be sure that your dog gets regular checkups and vaccinations, every year to every three years depending on their age. This will help to keep your dog safe from dangerous and potentially deadly diseases and may give you early warning for medical treatments that need prompt attention. Heartworm and flea and tick prevention are also a good idea, especially if you live in an area with large numbers of these parasite pests.
Bonus Health tip! One out of every 4 dogs will experience loss of mobility and joint pain from canine osteoarthritis, a common joint disease which affects older dogs and large breeds. If your dog is slowing down, supplementation with proven natural joint products like Flavocin™ that include Glucosamine, Chondroitin, antioxidants and vitamins may help keep them happier, healthier and more mobile—and live longer!